Secret Diary Writing Exercise # 7

Pretend that you are a struggling actor and for the Christmas season you have been hired to play Santa at the local mall. Write an entry in your secret diary describing your new job.

Bonus: After writing your secret diary entry, or before, or even instead of writing it, (who am I to tell you what to do?) you might want to read "SantaLand Diaries", the hilarious essay by David Sedaris describing his experiences working as an elf at Macy's one Christmas. It's in his collection, "Holidays on Ice" and possibly other places as well. An audio version that is absolutely hysterical of Sedaris reading this story also exists - not sure where you can find it, but it is worth the effort. I have it on cassette tape - remember cassettes? I know, I know, that pretty much makes me as old as Christmas.

*Update - I found it on You Tube. It is in four parts. To find it search under David Sedaris Santaland Diaries - it's the one with the blue screen. I can't seem to get a link to work (sorry).

No comments: