Musings from the Desk and an Exercise

One bit of advice that writers hear again and again is: write what you know.

I have never found this to be helpful. Some days I wander around not even sure of what I know (am I alone in this?). Anyway, I've always found it to be more helpful, and more interesting, to write about what you don't know, but are intrigued by. That way you are curious and enthusiastic, which will automatically make your writing more alive when the words start hitting the page.

So, think of something you don't know much about, but wish you did and then start doing research. Do a Google search, go to the library, talk to experts, read books, watch a documentary. Maybe a character in your latest short story loves Japanese food, but you've never tasted it yourself. Great! Read cookbooks, visit a Japanese restaurant (or two) and then learn how to make sushi (and invite me around for dinner). Learning about something new can be a great way to wake up yourself and your writing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I agree. What I know is boring!! Computers, some traveling, golf, family relations, etc. gets old. Looking for new directions and topics!

Mario

firstlinefiction said...

I doubt that what you know is boring, Mario! But it is good to keep adding to the stuff you know, and always find new things that excite you.

~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I recently read that you should write about what you don't know about what you know, as an option. I'm not sure if that makes any sense but basically to digger deeper into what you think you know. I think I like what you initially said to try to look into things that you don't know enough of using Google better.

Mario

Anonymous said...

Lori,

The actual quote (I found it.) is by Endora Welty.

"Write about what you don't know about what you know."

She wrote "Death of a Traveling Salesman", received a Pulitzer prize, and other honors. She died in 2001.

Mario