To Self-Publish or Not to Self-Publish?

That is the question these days, isn't it? If you had asked me a few years ago if I would ever consider self-publishing I would have blown you off your feet with the force of my "NO!"

But nowadays I am saying, "Never say never." Because the industry is changing lightning fast and every day new opportunities are opening up for writers.

I recently read about Amanda Hocking who self-publishes her paranormal fiction on Kindle. She has sold over 900,000 copies and apparently made over $2 million dollars. And her "Trylle" trilogy has just been optioned by Terri Tachell. I say, "Go Amanda!!" To learn more about her writing visit her blog at: www.amandahocking.blogspot.com

The times they certainly are a changing for writers. It is exciting for sure. But I think to be a successful writer today you need to wear a few hats, and you need to wear them well. You need to be a good writer, a good self-promoter, a good business person and have decent computer skills. Sure it is a bit daunting, but I also think there has never been a better time to be a writer.

No comments: