'Tis the Season

This is a busy time of year which means it is easy for your writing practice to fall by the wayside. I know personally that I am happier writing tiny amounts than not writing at all. So I wanted to share a few ways in which I tuck writing into even my busiest days.

1. Lately I have been posting small prose poems on the blog. I like writing that kind of thing all year round because it keeps me aware of the world around me, but I especially love writing them when my days are filled from morning to night. To me they are the writerly equivalent of a few deep breaths.

2. Try keeping a one-sentence journal. At the end of even the busiest day, pause, reflect and try to capture your day in a single sentence.

3. Try writing micro fiction. How small can you go? That's the challenge. Lately I have been trying to write short stories tiny enough to capture on a Post It note.

4. Keep a small notebook or sheet of paper with you at all times. That way when those fleeting ideas come to you in the midst of the holiday madness you can jot them down. After the holidays you'll feel good having those starting points to dive back into your creativity with.

With a bit of determination and some creativity you can still fit writing into even the busiest time of the year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I like your suggestions! Christmas season, especially it seems this year, is very busy. I'll probably try all of them.

Thanks.

Mario

firstlinefiction said...

I hope they help you squeeze a bit of writing in!

Cheers,
Lori