Getting Words Written

It is what links all modern writers. We all struggle with how to get words written in this crazy-busy, highly distracting modern age. So, stop hanging your head and feeling shameful - you're not alone. Luckily, I have discovered a few tricks that keep me writing and I'm going to share them in the hopes that they help you finish your masterpiece.

Still my best and favourite:

I turn off my phone. I wrote most of my first novel with my phone turned off. It was the only way to train my friends and family that my writing time was serious. It also taught me to take my writing seriously. I still turn off my phone when I have a deadline or when I am stuck and really need to concentrate. Trust me, they'll leave a message or call back. Probably both.

A Secret I Wish I Had Discovered Sooner:

Set a timer. I love this and have been using a timer a lot lately. I am amazed how much more I can get done by setting a timer on my desk. And I don't mean I do timed-writing practice where you have to keep your pen moving. I use a timer like a bargaining tool with myself: I'll say to myself, okay if you write for forty-five minutes you can take a ten minute break to surf the Internet. This keeps my bum in the chair and my brain focused on my work. Give it a try!

Finish the Things You Start:

You're a writer. You're creative. Ideas pour from you like water over Niagara Falls. I know, I know. But it is a mixed blessing because if you are always starting new projects, it might mean you're not getting many things finished. So be selective. Work on the stuff that speaks to your heart in the deepest way and bring those projects to completion before moving on. And don't forget to celebrate when you finish a writing project!

Let's face it, it's not the easiest thing in the world to be a writer, is it? But if you don't tell your stories, who is going to? Exactly. Okay, everybody - back to work!

1 comment:

Clare Wilson said...

I can attest to the fact that your second and third methods work super well! They are old habits of mine too, and have helped me get through a novel or two.

I hadn't thought of the first thing though. I don't talk on the phone a lot, but I do chat online, and signing out of chat might be a good way to help me focus.

Thanks for sharing your tips!