Confessions from the Desk

I truly have a gift for making myself feel guilty.  The last few days the weather has been absolutely gorgeous here.  Blue skies, sunshine and warm!  So warm that winter jackets have been shed for shorts by some people (Canadians can be a bit nutty when spring arrives). 

It might seem hard to turn spring into something guilt-inducing - unless you are me.  I have a confession to make: the past two days I've abandoned my desk in the afternoons to go for a walk.  I know, the horror, the horror!  But really, the guilt is terrible.  It's just that I'm so busy at the moment, with promoting my novel, finishing up a book of short stories and starting on a second novel that I feel guilty leaving my desk for any reason.  Soon I'll feel guilty about going to sleep!   You know, when I started this post I was going to write about managing your time as a writer and how hard it is, etc.  But then I decided to come clean and tell you how guilty I feel over two lousy walks on the first warm days of the year.  And you want to know the worst part?  One of those days was my birthday!  I know, I am hopeless.  I suppose the only upside is I'll never do anything truly terrible - the guilt would kill me. 

Today is another warm sunny day and the forecast looks good for tomorrow, too.  Usually I create exercises for you guys, but today I thought I'd give myself one.  I am to go outside this afternoon, enjoy myself, and not feel guilty about it.  I'll let you know how I do.

2 comments:

KY Warrior Librarian said...

Oh this is so funny. I am so much the same way with the guilt stuff.

firstlinefiction said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one!